Options in Injectable Dermal Fillers – Juvederm vs Radiesse
By Dr. Michael L. Thornton | Nov 4, 2018
At Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center, we offer the JUVEDERM® collection of dermal fillers (JUVEDERM® Ultra XC, VOLBELLA®, VOLLURE®, VOLUMA®) well as RADIESSE® Volumizing Filler, giving you a wide array of choices to address everything from softening lines and folds, lip plumping, smoothing vertical lip lines, and restoring lost volume to the cheeks.
Dr. Michael L. Thornton, a double board certified cosmetic surgeon and certified Diplomate of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, has been performing dermal filler injections to clients living near Mansfield, Arlington, and Fort Worth since 2008 and his personalized attention paired with his surgical precision and experience ensures that you will leave our office looking beautiful and natural.
What To Know About Your Injectable Filler Treatment and Results
All injectable dermal filler treatments are performed as in-office procedures and typically take less than 30 minutes. In addition, Dr. Thornton personally performs all dermal filler injections as he chooses not to use a mid level nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or certified injector to perform your dermal filler injections. His clients appreciate this distinction and because of this individualized, surgeon-level attention, Dr. Thornton minimizes complications.
Dermal filler injections are minimally invasive and require no downtime, as you can return to normal daily activities without anyone knowing an aesthetic treatment was performed. You may experience mild swelling or bruising at the injection site, though Dr. Thornton frequently uses blunt tipped micro-cannulas to further reduce your chances of bruising or discomfort.
At Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center, Dr. Thornton prefers the JUVEDERM® collection of hyaluronic acid fillers, as well as RADIESSE® or collagen-building injectable filler, all of which are FDA-approved and proven effective in rejuvenating and refreshing the aging face.
Hyaluronic Acid Injectable Dermal Fillers
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a popular ingredient used in many injectable fillers, and can be used to treat a variety of issues in facial aging and volume loss. Hyaluronic Acid is a small molecule found naturally in nearly every cell in your body and has the extraordinary ability to retain approximately 1,000 times its own weight in water. HA is an essential component of your body’s soft tissue matrix, because when it binds with water, it forms a viscous gel that lubricates and moisturizes everything from your joints to your eyes to your skin. In fact, almost 50 percent of the hyaluronic acid found in your body is found in your skin, working to ensure that it is adequately hydrated and balanced. When incorporated into your skin as a dermal filler, HA can smooth and soften lines, fill in deep folds and wrinkles, and add volume to your lips, cheeks and the hollows under your eyes. This little molecule does all of this all while helping to keep your skin looking supple and healthy.
At Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center, Dr. Thornton offers the following hyaluronic acid injectable dermal fillers:
- JUVEDERM® Ultra Plus XC – is an excellent option for filling areas around the mouth and nose and have moderate to severe nasolabial folds (NLF), marionette lines, and oral commissure lines. JUVEDERM® is also commonly used for primary lip plumping and Dr. Thornton has been using this application for over a decade, as it remains his most popular used dermal filler. JUVEDERM® realistically last approximately 6 to 9 months but some clients may have lasting results for approximately one year. The “XC” means that lidocaine is mixed with the filler to minimize discomfort following the injection process.
- JUVEDERM® Volbella® XC – is one of the newer dermal fillers using a newer VYCROSS® technology that cross-links the hyaluronic molecules into intricate patterns. Volbella® is FDA-approved for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral lines in adults over the age of 21. Dr. Thornton primarily uses Volbella® around the mouth to soften and smooth perioral lines (also known as “lipstick lines” or “smoker lines”) as well as adding mild lip volumization. It is specifically formulated as the softest and silkiest dermal filler, therefore it can be placed superficially under the dermis, which makes it ideal to be used to improve micro perioral lines. Interestingly, the Volbella® syringe is pre-filled and purchased as half the size (0.55cc) as compared to 1 cc syringe of comparable dermal filler syringes. One special application of Volbella® is the use of “mild” lip augmentation by using just one 0.55 cc syringe instead of using a full syringe (1 cc) of JUVEDERM® Ultra Plus XC. This smaller injection may be more ideal for clients seeking more conservative lip volumization.
- JUVEDERM® Voluma® XC – is specifically designed and FDA-approved for deep injection in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss in adults over 21. Voluma® injectable dermal filler also uses VYCROSS® technology and is the most firmest injectable dermal filler that volumizes and boosts soft tissue areas of the cheeks by restoring lift and contour to the midface. Voluma® instantly adds volume in the cheeks and midface to create a more youthful appearance for up to 2 years with optimal treatment.
- JUVEDERM® Vollure® XC – is an FDA-approved injection for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds) in adults over 21. Another dermal filler that uses the proprietary VYCROSS® technology of hyaluronic acid cross-linking, Vollure® is designed to treat nasolabial folds, marionette lines and smile lines. Because of its special formulation, Vollure® can be injected a bit deeper to address more severe folds. It is used in the same manner as JUVEDERM® Ultra Plus XC but because of its VYCROSS® technology, Vollure® may be the ideal dermal filler choice for you, offering results that last up to 18 months with optimal treatment.
Collagen Boosting Injectable Dermal Fillers
Part of the reason for the occurrence of wrinkles and volume loss in your face can be attributed to the depletion of existing collagen, as well as the gradual decline in the production of new collagen. Collagen boosting fillers such as RADIESSE® contain tiny microspheres formulated with calcium that stimulate your own body’s natural collagen production. RADIESSE® is composed of calcium hydroxylapatite microspheres in a water-based gel carrier that provided physicians a superior level of control and predictability for facial applications. When used as an injectable dermal filler, the calcium-based microspheres in RADIESSE® are suspended in a pliable white gel, causing it to work in two ways. First, RADIESSE® immediately fills the folds and areas of lost volume. Second, the calcium microspheres in RADIESSE® stimulate the production of new collagen over time. Because RADIESSE® increases the body’s production of collagen, once the injectable filler has been absorbed by your body, you may see lasting results, as the healthy new collagen takes the place of the filler.
At Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center, Dr. Thornton uses RADIESSE® as the collagen-boosting injectable dermal filler:
- RADIESSE® – is an FDA-approved injectable dermal filler to smooth moderate-to-severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. RADIESSE® is also used to correct volume loss in the back of the hands as well as correcting generalized volume loss to the midface. The collagen-inducing calcium-based microspheres used in RADIESSE® are calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA), suspended in an aqueous gel carrier. The gel immediately restores facial volume, while the microspheres boost collagen production. RADIESSE® may last for a year or more.
If you have noticed that your face has lost its youthful smoothness and contour, injectable dermal fillers may be the solution. Contact Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center today at 817-477-9000 and schedule a consultation with Dr. Thornton to discover the right dermal filler for you.