The VASER Lipo Advantage
By Dr. Michael L. Thornton | Jan 19, 2019
What is VASERlipo?
At Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center, Dr. Michael L. Thornton, can help you achieve the next level of definition, revealing your hard work and beautiful physique. Under the expert guidance of Dr. Michael L. Thornton, a double board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Diplomate of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, we are pleased to offer our patients the latest in liposuction technology: VASER lipo for minimally-invasive aesthetic body contouring. VASER lipo was approved by the FDA in 2002, and is the most advanced liposuction treatment available to assist in the selective removal of unwanted fat.
VASERlipo provides a new level of body contouring by utilizing high-frequency ultrasound energy to dislodge and liquefy fat cells. Liquifying the fat separates from other tissue in the treatment area, making it easier to extract and gentler on surrounding tissues.
Am I a Good Candidate for VASERlipo?
VASERlipo can be used to remove large or small stubborn pockets of fat in both men and women who are in good health, giving the treatment area a smooth, defined appearance. VASERlipo is not recommended for weight loss, but instead is used to reveal definition and contour. Because of its versatility, VASERlipo can be used to assist in the removal of fat nearly anywhere on your body.
The VASERlipo Procedure:
If your procedure involves multiple body treatment areas, is combined with other body contouring surgery like abdominoplasty, or requires a large amount of fat removal, then your VASERlipo procedure will take place at Baylor Surgicare at Mansfield, a local accredited surgery center along with the support of board-certified anesthesiologists to administer general anesthesia for improved pain control. However, Dr. Thornton may perform VASERlipo in his office using oral sedation and local tumescent anesthesia for small areas or revision procedures.
To begin your VASERlipo procedure, tumescent local anesthesia containing saline, lidocaine and epinephrine is carefully injected into the soft tissue treatment area. The lidocaine helps minimize pain, while the epinephrine vasoconstricts the blood vessels to lessen bleeding and bruising. Saline fluid adds by wetting the treatment area expanding the soft tissue space to aid in the fat extraction process. After the tumescent anesthesia sits for approximately 15 minutes, a small incision is made, and the VASERlipo ultrasound probe is inserted. Dr. Thornton then moves the ultrasound probe back and forth in a feathering manner to deliver ultrasound energy to the fat cells.
When the entire area has been treated with VASERlipo ultrasound, the probe is removed and the fat cells are now ready to be suctioned. After the fat in the treatment area has been removed a compression garment will be applied and you will return home the day of your procedure.
What is the Recovery following VASERlipo?
Patients appreciate a minimal recovery and downtime associated with VASERlipo. Following your procedure, you may experience minor bruising, swelling, tenderness, and bleeding. You will wear your compression garment for the next 3-4 weeks to aid in the healing process. Most patients can return to work three to five days after their procedure; however, every patient is different, so listen to your body and adjust accordingly. During the first three weeks after your procedure, you can do simple activities like walking or riding a stationary bike; however, avoid strenuous exercise until you are at least three weeks out to allow your body to heal.
The VASERlipo Advantage:
- Using high-frequency ultrasound to liquefy fat makes the treatment area appear smoother after treatment, because the fat is essentially melted away from other tissues so that no fat is left behind. VASERlipo is commonly used during male gynecomastia procedures.
- Because the liquefied fat is separated from other connective and healthy tissue, there is little to no effect on those tissues.
- Liquefied fat is easier to suction out of the body, making the liposuction process gentler on your body.
- Minimal damage occurs to the fat cells during liposuction, which allows Dr. Thornton to harvest high-quality, viable fat cells and transfer them to other parts of the body.
- The use of tumescent anesthesia controls bleeding and reduces bruising, making recovery easier and faster.
- You can expect precise body contouring results with unparalleled definition.
- Results are immediate, and improvement will continue over the next four to six months while your body heals.
- Fat is permanently removed from the body. By maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and taking into account the natural aging process, you can expect your beautiful results to remain for years to come.
Choosing an experienced cosmetic plastic surgeon is key to minimizing risks and achieving optimal results. Rest assured that you are in good hands with Dr. Thornton. He has the education, experience and artistry to safely and skillfully transform your body with VASERlipo. To see if VASERlipo is the right treatment to help you achieve the physique you desire, contact Mansfield Cosmetic Surgery Center at 817-477-9000 to schedule a consultation.